Servings: 3. Non Vegetarian
Inspired by one of our favourite delis in the world, Russ & Daughters in New York City, this combination of John Ross Jr Smoked Salmon and crispy Rosti, Latkes, potato pancakes, or whatever you want to call them, is the perfect brunch. Serve it with a dollop of cream cheese, Ishka Farms organic capers, and a wedge of lime.
|Potatoes, medium size||7 pcs (~850 grams)|
|Onion, medium size||1 pc (~65 grams)|
|Butter, salted, plus more for cooking||2 tbsp|
|Black Pepper, ground||1 tsp|
|Oil, for cooking||2 tbsp|
|John Ross Jr Smoked Salmon, sliced||200 grams|
|Ishka Farms Organic Capers||3 tsp|
|Lime, cut into wedges||1 pc|
- Wash and peel your potatoes and onions. Keep your peeled potatoes in water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Setup a cheese grater with the largest grating holes you can find. We do not want very finely grated potato. Grate the potatoes and the onion together.
- Season the grated potato and onion mixture with 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Mix well and let it set for 5 minutes. This will season the mixture and help it release moisture.
- Put the potato mixture into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid out of it into the sink. Do this in two batches.
- Put the squeezed potato mixture in a clean bowl, add 2 tbsps of melted butter. Mix well.
- Setup a pan, preferably non-stick on low-medium heat and grease the pan with oil and butter.
- Separate your potato mixture into 6 equal balls. Press them between your palms to make thin, round patties. Do not make them too thin as they might break.
- Now place the patties on the pan and let them cook. Do not touch them. They need time to cook through and get nice and crispy.
- After about 8 minutes, the bottom will be brown and crispy and the potatoes will look translucent, indicating they are cooked. Now you can flip it and cook it on the other side. Immediately add some more butter and oil to the pan. Cook both sides until dark brown and crispy.
- Remove the cooked rosti onto a grill to prevent the bottom from getting soggy and greasy while it cools.
- To serve, top the rosti with a slice of smoked salmon, a dollop of cream cheese, a handful of capers, and a wedge of lemon on the side for squeezing on top.