FD Muffuletta Sandwich
Servings: 6. Non Vegetarian
Welcome to sandwich heaven. Originally a type of round Sicilian bread, a Muffuletta is somewhere between focaccia and ciabatta, and usually topped with sesame seeds. The Muffuletta sandwich was made popular in New Orleans by Italian immigrants, and traditionally contains layers of Ham, Salami, Mortadella, cheese, and olive salad. For our sandwich we use our mouthwatering Simonini Italian meats, Dutch Edam Cheese, and generous helpings of Olives, Honey Mustard, and Ishka Farm Caper Berries. After assembling it is essential to wrap the sandwich tight, press it down and refrigerate it, allowing all the flavours to mingle and for a beautiful cross section when you finally cut it. Mmmmmmm.
*Amazing bread courtesy of The Oval Loaf, Mumbai*
|Muffuletta Bread/Foccacia/Ciabatta||9 inch round|
|Simonini Salami Milano||7 slices|
|Simonini Cooked Ham||5 slices|
|Simonini Mortadella||7 slices|
|Westzaner Dutch Edam Cheese Slices||5 slices|
|Figaro Olives, chopped||4 tbsp|
|TGJ Honey Mustard||2 tbsp|
|Ishka Farms Organic Caper Berries, drained and sliced||2 tbsp|
|Lettuce, chopped and dressed with olive oil||2 cups|
- Carefully slice your bread horizontally into two, keeping the knife as straight as possible for two halves equally thick.
- Spread the chopped olives and honey mustard on the bottom.
- Layer the fillings in the following order: Salami, Cooked Ham, Edam Cheese, Mortadella, Sliced Caper Berries (or capers), Salad (refer to images below). Close the sandwich with the top bread.
- Wrap the whole sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator overnight (or at least a few hours) with some heavy weight on it pressing it down. This will allow the bread to absorb all the flavours of the fillings, and give a beautiful cross section when cut.
- When you're ready to eat, preheat your oven to 200C. Unwrap the sandwich and heat it in the oven for 7-10 mins until the crust of the bread is crisp and the fillings warm. Or slice and enjoy it cold, its equally delicious!