By RaybirdServings: 4. Non Vegetarian
Crispy breaded chicken stuffed with our Le Superbe Swiss Gruyere cheese and Simonini Italian Cooked Ham. What more is there to say? You can't go wrong with this French Classic. Quick and easy to make, and super delicious. Serve it with a fresh salad and some wholegrain mustard.
1. Slice the Gruyere cheese as thin as you can and keep it aside with the sliced ham.
2. Slice each chicken breast horizontally into two equal parts from the side, so you have four pieces. Place each piece between two pieces of plastic wrap on your cutting board and beat it evenly with a rolling pin or pan until it is about 1 cm thick. Season both sides of each piece with salt and pepper.
3. Lay out the chicken pieces and place one slice of ham on top of each, followed by the slices of cheese. If the ham is sticking out from the sides, fold or trim the excess. Roll the chicken with the ham and cheese inside.
4. Wet your kitchen counter and pull out a long sheet of plastic wrap, the water will help the plastic wrap stick to the counter. Place one piece of the chicken on the bottom edge of the plastic and then roll it completely in the plastic. Twist the edges of the plastic as much as you can to form a tight cylinder. Repeat with all four pieces and refrigerate.
5. Heat oil in a large pan until medium hot, about 350F or 175C if you have a thermometer, or just add a pinch of breadcrumbs and see if they start to sizzle.
6. Add flour in one bowl, whisked eggs in the next bowl, and breadcrumbs in the last bowl. Unwrap the plastic wrap on the chicken and coat each piece one by one in that order. Remember FEB (Flour, egg, breadcrumbs). Use one hand for the dry flour and breadcrumbs and another for the egg, to avoid clumps of breading.
7. Once all four pieces are coated, add them to the hot oil. They should fry for at least 12-15 mins to be fully cooked inside. Keep turning them so they are golden brown and crispy on all sides.
8. Once done, remove the pieces onto a steel rack or onto paper towels and immediately season with your Ishka Farms sea salt. Let them rest a couple of minutes before serving with salad and a spoon of wholegrain mustard.